Neuroscience Answers on Quora
I'm a "Top Writer" on the website Quora (60,000 followers) where I have answered hundreds of neuroscience questions. I also maintain a Quora blog of top answers (see representative answers below).
Over 60 answers have been republished to media sites such as Forbes (20+), Huffington Post (10+), Slate (8+), Business Insider (7+), and others. See: representative published answers.
Selected Neuroscience Answers
- What are some things that neuroscientists know but most people don't?
- Why do we sleep?
- How has the brain evolved since life began?
- How are memories stored in the human brain?
- How does the brain decide which memories to store?
- Is there any redundancy in human memory?
- Are memories stored physically?
- Why is forgetting different for driving and calculus?
- Why is it difficult to remember things from before 3-5 years of age?
- Why do I sometimes confuse memories of dreams with memories of reality?
- How can we see images in our mind?
- Is everyone's experience of color the same?
- Where in the human perceptual system does color blindness occur?
- What is black?
- How do we know when someone is looking at us?
- What is consciousness?
- What are some neuroscience theories of consciousness?
- Is there such a thing as the subconscious?
- Is consciousness an emergent property of the brain or a fundamental property of matter?
- What is your theory of everything?
- How many neurons are needed to create a conscious entity?
- Are humans who never learned a language capable of complex thought?
- What is dreaming and why do we do it?
- Why aren't there smells in dreams?