I work in the area of data science, technology strategy,
product management, and
organizational problem-solving. Most recently I have been
working on data science strategy at large-scale
consumer internet companies
Previous projects include technology strategy consulting for a computer vision startup (Flash Foto), and product requirements specification for a predictive analytics ecommerce company.
I served as interim head of Product Management for Wyse Technology where I organized product planning and development initiatives for the company's portfolio of 20 hardware and software products. This included facilitating the ramp-up of 100-member India and China software development subsidiaries.
In 2003, I founded Neosociety, a social networking software company and technology platform for facilitating involvement in membership associations and non-profit initiatives. Other recent projects include technology and product strategy for an enterprise software infrastructure company.
As my first entrepreneurial venture, I co-founded Infoscape with Richard Williamson (now at Apple). Infoscape was a venture-backed software company that developed enterprise tools and applications in Java. Infoscape grew to 25 employees and was recognized by Upside and Computer World magazines as one of the top 100 emerging technology companies for 1998.
Prior to Infoscape, I developed object-oriented user interface software for designing client/server database applications at both NeXT (a Steve Jobs company) and Oracle Corporation.
Education: A.B. in Computer Science from Harvard University with a focus on cognitive psychology and neural networks.
Home: San Francisco, California.
I am interested in the patterns of effective social organization, which includes collaboration strategy, corporate management strategy, and the strategies underlying effective governance in both the public and private sector. What connects all these interests together for me is the common theme of self-organizing systems which achieve collective goals.
Projects and Organizations
- Society for Neuroscience, the leading association of neuroscience research scientists.
- Vision Science Society, the leading association of neuroscience research scientists.
- IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is the leading association of technology researchers.
- World Affairs Council, an organization promoting public discourse on international issues.
- Commonwealth Club of California, the nations largest and oldest public affairs forum.
- United Nations Association, promotes civic engagement in support of the United Nations.
- Harvard Club of San Francisco, Board Member and Technology Advisor.
Past Projects (business):
- Neotera, Principal. Neotera provides product and technology strategy consulting services, focusing on software startups and web-based systems.
- Flash Foto, Technology Strategist. Flash Foto develops software for the visual segmentation of digital images.
- Wyse Technology, Interim VP Product Management (consultant). Wyse develops and markets "thin clients" — computing devices on the edge of the network that provide visually rich windowing environments for application delivery.
- Neosociety, Founder. Neosociety provides an online community platform to support membership organizations, conference groups, and social initiatives in bringing people together.
Past Projects (non-profit):
- Black Rock Arts Foundation, a non-profit supporting large-scale, interactive, and collaborative art projects.
- Raised Barn Press, a publishing company producing collaborative art books.