Neuro+AI+Consciousness on Clubhouse
The Neuro+AI+Consciousness conversation series on the Clubhouse platform is a weekly-occuring exploration with researchers on the big questions of how the brain works when viewed as a biological information processing machine as well the nature of mind, intelligence, and consciousness. We explore the intersection of theoretical neuroscience with machine learning and the more speculative questions of how consciousness works in the brain and what would be involved in creating consciousness in a machine.Follow this link for the Neuro+AI+Consciousness club on the Clubhouse mobile app. Conversations are live with audience participation and typically happen on Saturdays starting at either 12 noon or 2pm PT.
- How does the brain work mechanistically when viewed as a biological information processing machine?
- What is the path to Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)?
- Can understanding how the brain implements intelligence inform how to achieve intelligence in machines?
- How does consciousness and perceptual awareness work in the brain?
- What is the path to artificial consciousness in machines?
- August 7, 2021, 11am PT
— How does vision work in the brain computationally?
with Joel Zylberberg
We will explore current research on neural information processing models of the human visual system.
- Get notified of upcoming speakers and topics: email list signup
- Suggest future topics for discussion: feedback survey
- Speakers and topics also announced on: club calendar and Twitter
- Join the online discussion Discord server.
- July 3, 2021, 11am (link) — Consciousness and the neuroscience of anesthesia with Divya Chander
- June 27, 2021
— Cellular mechanisms of conscious processing in the brain with
Recording: Audio and Transcript
- June 19, 2021
— Sensorimotor Contingency Theory of Consciousness with
J. Kevin O'Regan
Recording: Audio and Transcript
- June 12, 2021
— Neuroscience, AI, and Consciousness — open discussion
Topics: Attention Schema Theory (Graziano), agent models of mind and consciousness (Frank Heile and Joscha Bach)
- June 5, 2021 (link) — Can computational neuroscience figure out the brain? (with Yohan John, Clayton Bingham, and Scott Rich)
- May 15, 2021 (link) — Psychiatry and the Neuroscience of Emotion and Self (with Sandeep Denduluri and Yohan John)
- May 8, 2021 — Neuroscience of cognition and implications for AI models
- May 1, 2021 — Neural coding: How does the brain represent the world?
- Apr 3, 2021 — Solving the hard problem of consciousness
- Mar 28, 2021
— Consciousness and the nature of reality with
Don discusses his book The Case Against Reality: Why Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes.
- Mar 27, 2021 (link) — Consciousness, Information Theory, and Emergence (with Eric Hoel)
- Mar 13, 2021 — Neuroscience of Language and implications for NLP (with Marc Ettlinger)
- Mar 14, 2021 — Neuroscience of Vision: How does the brain do it? (with Sunwoo Kwon)
- Mar 6, 2021
— Neuroscience, AI, and Consciousness with
Anil discusses his upcoming book Being You: The New Science of Consciousness.
- Feb 20, 2021 — Neuroscience, AI, and Consciousness (with Joscha Bach)
- Feb 13, 2021 — Neuroscience, AI, and Consciousness
- Feb 7, 2021 — Glitch in the Matrix (with Erik Davis)
- Feb 6, 2021 — Neuroscience, AI, and Consciousness (kickoff)